School of Computer Science and Engineering (SCOPE)
History of computing discipline at VIT Chennai dates back to 2010, when the School of Computing Science & Engineering was established to meet the demand for well-qualified computer professionals.
The mission of the school is to create and maintain an environment for Excellence in Instruction, Learning and Applied Research in the area of Computing Science and Engineering and allied disciplines so as to equip our students with necessary knowledge and skills for higher education/employment and to meet the societal demands.
With an aim to carve a niche for itself in Computer Science and allied domains, the School strives to:
- Produce graduates thoroughly acquainted with the principles of modern Computing Science who are able to apply the principles in the design and construction of reliable systems.
- To equip students with the fundamental understanding and practical skills needed by the potential organizers of a demanding profession.
- Provide cost-effective Information and Communication Technology (ICT)-based solutions and value-added services to a variety of organizations and to meet the expectations of stakeholders
- Foster a learning and creative community that strives to continuously advance the frontiers of knowledge and promote the deployment and usage of ICT-based applications for betterment of society.
The School offers research programmes such as M.Tech (By Research) and Ph.D(Internal and External ). Practical skills must also be developed and the majority of the subjects are linked with the project based learning which bridges theory and practices including wide variety of hardware and software technology and their applications.
The School has one of the best infrastructure including domain-specific labs associated with the above technical divisions- many of these labs are sponsored by industry leaders e.g. IBM, Cisco, Sun Microsystems and Red Hat. The School has a good record of organizing guest lecture, seminars, workshops and conferences in emerging technological areas.Various Industrial visits organized by the School gives the vision of Industry atmosphere to the student .
In developing the core competence in the respective subject matter specialization includes:
- Theoretical Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Software Engineering
- Cyber-Physical Systems
- Artificial Intelligence
- Network and Security
- Imaging and Computer Vision